Follow me while I exploit myths about heavy metal music and its listeners, discuss new bands, break-down lyrics,

rate albums, write concert reviews, discuss personal connections to songs, and explain why metal is more than

just “screaming”.


Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"What is that Noise?"

Let’s discuss why heavy metal is more than just “screaming”

The one thing that really gets to me is when people make fun of heavy metal music and say it is “just screaming,” “loud noise” and that “you can’t understand what they are saying.” Well, there is a reason heavy metal is loud, and there’s a reason for those screams. The genre is a lot more than non-listeners believe.
People I hear crap from
My mom hates my music and whenever I have something to say about popular bands like Maroon 5 (gag), she always says that at least you can understand what those bands are saying. She then imitates someone screaming and making no sense as a way to bash my music. I usually roll my eyes and my dad will look over and say “she doesn’t appreciate music.” I used to hear a lot of crap from friends and many people online. My friends over the years have stopped giving me so much crap and they either respect the music I like, or it just doesn’t get brought up.
Crushing those critiques
First, heavy metal is NOT just screaming. The artists are screaming to get their point across. Their screams allow you to feel their pain, their emotion and their beliefs. The screams bring you right into the music and you become that person. Also, most of the artists that scream also have fantastic voices (like Corey Taylor from Slipknot – he has one of the most amazing voices I have ever heard). It takes real talent to be able to scream in the way these artists do; there is some kind of special technique they need to use their throat for in order to create those sounds – not anyone can be a heavy metal singer.
Second, it is not just “loud noise.” Each song is a creatively thought out song with meaningful lyrics. Just because the genre is loud and involves screaming, doesn’t mean people shouldn’t give the music a chance.
Third, you definitely can understand the lyrics. So many people have asked me how I understand what the artists are saying. The way to learn a heavy metal song is to first read the lyrics. You should then read the lyrics while you let the song play. After doing this a few times, the lyrics will stick in your brain and you will remember the song. It is easy to identify lyrics the more you listen to the genre; you start to just have an ear for what the artists are saying. Even sometimes I still have difficulty hearing the lyrics with new songs – which is when I pull up the lyrics and familiarize myself with the song that way.
Give metal a chance
If you’re a hater, that’s fine. But don’t hate on the genre without understanding that there is more to metal than screaming and loud noise. There is a difference between being ignorant and being rude. If you didn’t know these things about heavy metal, well now you know. However, if you did know these things and still choose to hate on the genre, then you’re just rude.
My Readers:
·         Have any of you experienced negative feedback or critiques about the genre of music you like?
·         What is the most common thing you hear people say and how do you respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment