Follow me while I exploit myths about heavy metal music and its listeners, discuss new bands, break-down lyrics,

rate albums, write concert reviews, discuss personal connections to songs, and explain why metal is more than

just “screaming”.


Friday, November 16, 2012

Good vs. Bad Concert Crowds

Where to stand, what to watch out for and what not to do

Concerts have been a huge part of my life for a long time now. I have been to tons of concerts of all genres and I have seen many different crowds. Sometimes the crowds are rougher than others and sometimes they are more fun than others. There are some things you should be aware of when it comes to crowds and concerts.
Where to stand

I always want to be in the front of the crowd – yes, I am that girl who will stand in line for hours to get front row. But there is a method to my madness. If you are in the front row, you have a guard rail or something to lean on or hold onto. Not only are you the closest to the band, but if you start to feel sick or the crowd gets really rough, you have something sturdy to brace yourself against. There have been times when I felt sick and I used the guard as a method to keep myself standing. I also remember times when the crowds were so rough that I couldn’t even use the guard rail to brace myself and I jumped over the rail and took myself out of the front.
Being in the front row is not only awesome, but it is probably one of the safer places to be. Some other good places to stand are off to the sides, or in the very back. When I am not able to be first or second row, I tend to find somewhere either off to the right or left to stand. The moshing usually occurs directly in the center of the crowd, and if you don’t want to be thrown around and get hurt, the best option for you is to avoid the mosh pits at all costs. If you are front row, or off to the sides, you most likely will not have to worry about mosh pits. Also, if you don’t care about being close, standing towards the back is always the safest bet (but, how much will you enjoy a show from the very back?).
What to watch out for

First, be aware of crowd surfing and moshing. I have gotten kicked in the head, kicked in the face, thrown around, pushed, and the whole nine yards. Concerts are great but they can also be dangerous – especially for people who are small (like me). If someone is crowd surfing and you are aware of this, duck! (At least, that’s what I do). I’ve gotten kicked in the head too many times to not duck at a show when I know someone is about to come flying over my head.
Second, be aware of the people directly around you. Try to make friends with the people you are standing with. Each show I attend, I always connect with the people I meet in line or am standing near in the crowd. It’s only natural to become friendly with the people you wait hours in line with or are rubbing up against during the show.
Also, it’s good to make friends because that means the fewer enemies you will make. If you are “that annoying girl” or that “obnoxious fan”, most likely you will either be a) knocked out b) picked up and thrown or c) the target for violence. I remember one show I was at, this one girl would not stop jumping and forcing her way to the front, even though we had all been standing in the same spot for hours. The guys around me picked her up and threw her towards the front and over the rail. She lost her spot, and who knows where she went after she made her way back into the crowd.
It is also important to make friends at shows because you never know what could happen. I got pushed by a guy one time, and someone I became friends with defended me and watched out for my safety. The people around you become your support system during the show and usually, at least in my case, become your friends or Facebook friends even after the show. I even dated someone I met at a concert for a few months. You never know who you will meet!
What not to do
1)    Don’t try to fight anyone – you will either get kicked out, or knocked out. I have tried to act tough and it’s never a good idea to try to start drama with people who are hyped up, drinking, and twice your size.
2)    Don’t start drama – make friends and keep to yourself; you will have a better experience this way.
3)    Don’t be obnoxious – everyone knows what it is like to love a band, but there is a difference between rocking out and being obnoxious. Don’t flip your hair around and purposely bump into people.
Most importantly, remember to HAVE FUN! You paid money for this show. Just be aware of the type of crowd you are in and try to stay as safe as possible. Make friends, be aware of your surroundings and everything will be fine. Don’t forget to rock out!

No comments:

Post a Comment