Follow me while I exploit myths about heavy metal music and its listeners, discuss new bands, break-down lyrics,

rate albums, write concert reviews, discuss personal connections to songs, and explain why metal is more than

just “screaming”.


Friday, November 9, 2012

Heavy Metal and Politics

Five Finger Death Punch Lyrics Examined

There isn’t a clear cut answer to whether heavy metal artists lean left or right when it comes to politics. Each artist has their own beliefs and opinions, and some artists are more outspoken about their beliefs than others. Lamb of God’s albums criticize American foreign policy, and Marilyn Manson has not been shy with his lyrics about his thoughts about God and government. It is easiest to look at the outspoken artists and examine their song lyrics to determine some of their beliefs about politics.
My favorite heavy metal band is Five Finger Death Punch and they are extremely easy to analyze for political beliefs when examining their lyrics. In my opinion, these lyrics are self explanatory:

War is the Answer- “No One Gets Left Behind”
“Politicians banking in their greed. No idea on how to be all they can be. Have you no honor Have you no soul. What is it they're dying for? Do you really even know? Have you no backbone. Have you no spine. Whatever happened to NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND? NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND I KNOW YOU MADE IT UP. NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND IT'S MORE FOR MONEY. NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND DRINK FROM THE GOLDEN CUP. NO ONE GETS LEFT BEHIND YOUR TURN IS COMING. Play your war games with other people's lives. It should be you on the front line.”
the way of the first- “Death Before Dishonor”
“To the haters, the takers, the liars, all the vultures and the bottom feeding scum. The FCC, the FBI and every tin god with a badge and a gun. You talk and talk, you preach and bitch but your words don't mean a thing. You get what you give, you give what you get. Just the way it's always been." ... "I choose death before dishonor. I'd rather die than live down on my knees. Bury me like a soldier, with my dignity!”

American Capitalist- “American Capitalist”
“I'm a red blooded, rough neck son of a bitch. I'm a goddamned American capitalist. I've got a kill 'em all, give a shit, license to hate. I'm that one shot, one kill, bringer of pain.. I don't wanna believe I'm empty. And I don't want to admit I'm wrong. I don't wanna regret who I've become (When I'm) I'm an American Capitalist. American Capitalist" ... "Yeah war is the answer. Like I told you before. You're a coward with no power, just a stain on the floor. If you're a man, be a man, stop running your lips. Round three, no mercy, It's the way of the fist.”
American Capitalist- “The Pride”
“I am, what you fear most. I am, what you need. I am, what you made me. I am, The American Dream. I’m not selling out. I’m Buying in. I am, All American. I am, living the dream. I am, what you fear most. I am, anarchy.”


This band has a lot of military based songs and a lot of their lyrics show their support for our troops. “No One Gets Left Behind” shows the idea that politicians and the government use war for their own gain and the bands disgust for politicians. This song also demonstrates the idea of never leaving a soldier behind in combat. “Death Before Dishonor” is pretty self explanatory; he would rather die than be dishonest, a bad person, and someone that he isn’t.  A lot of people are not honorable these days and this song is meant to show this idea.
“American Capitalist” seems to be supporting capitalism and the idea that you get what you work for; I also feel this song is supposed to show how greedy people are these days.  “The Pride” is a song about how people lose themselves and pretend to be something they aren’t. Everyone is so focused on the “American Dream” and making money; however, the “American Dream” is not only about money. I also think this song seems to be the bands way of saying that even though they aren’t as rich or famous as maybe Donald Trump, that they are living the American dream, because they are happy and love what they do, follow their dreams and haven’t lost who they are as people.

No comments:

Post a Comment