Follow me while I exploit myths about heavy metal music and its listeners, discuss new bands, break-down lyrics,

rate albums, write concert reviews, discuss personal connections to songs, and explain why metal is more than

just “screaming”.


Thursday, December 6, 2012

Tattoos

Judge me on my character, not my ink

Something that really bothers me in this society is the disgust and disproval for tattoos. I’ll never forget when I came home with my first tattoo and my one aunt asked what I was going to do at my wedding – as if it is something hideous that I need to hide by letting my hair down.
I got my first tattoo only weeks after I turned 18. I got it for my aunt who passed away and it is extremely personal. It’s a gorgeous tattoo and both of my parents supported me and loved what I did for my aunt. The rest of the family wasn’t so supportive. However, many, many tattoos and crazy hair colors later, my family has learned to either keep their mouths shut or smile and pretend to like whatever it is I do.
I have 6 small tattoos, and my side and my leg done. I absolutely love tattoos and the meaning behind every single one of mine. I feel it is a beautiful way to showcase your beliefs and what you love. Tattoos are body art that will forever be with you. I don’t understand people’s hatred for tattoos. If you don’t like them, keep your opinions to yourself. Oh, and don’t trash other people’s passions!

One thing that really bothers me is the fact that tattoos are starting to affect whether or not people get jobs. Hair color, tattoos, and piercings all make a difference when you apply and interview for a job. In my opinion, none of these things should matter. How should my appearance affect someone’s decision to hire me for a position? My tattoos or hair color have nothing to do with my 3.84 GPA. It makes me sick to think that overqualified and extremely intelligent people aren’t given jobs simply because they do not “look” the part.
How are we supposed to look? Are we all supposed to wear skirts and Hollister shirts, have blonde hair, and be perfect little princesses? It is a load of crap. People need to stop judging people based off of what they look like and start judging them on their character. People are so harsh in judging others – I see people every day being judged for being overweight, unattractive, a different race, etc.
Just because someone has a lot of tattoos does not mean they are a serial killer. One of my tattoos is for my aunt, one is a mother daughter tattoo, and the rest are either song lyrics or have symbolic meanings. People who look at me don’t assume I am a very intelligent college student. If I am on the beach, the only thing people see are my tattoos exposed and assume I am bad news.
I hope I am still alive to see the day when it doesn’t matter how many tattoos people have, what hair color or how many piercings people have while working. Things are getting better now in 2012 – more people are open to tattoos and such, but we still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment