Follow me while I exploit myths about heavy metal music and its listeners, discuss new bands, break-down lyrics,

rate albums, write concert reviews, discuss personal connections to songs, and explain why metal is more than

just “screaming”.


Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Killswitch Engage

Love or Hate?

Killswitch Engage is a band I have been meaning to get into for years now. I only know a few of their songs – “My Curse” and “Holy Diver” are the only ones I can name right off the top of my head.
Wracking my brain

I was sitting here for at least 25 minutes trying to figure out where I saw the band and when…I knew I had seen them before. Then after looking through pictures I finally remembered! They were at the Trespass America Festival in August with a bunch of really awesome bands. I don’t remember much from the show except for Five Finger Death Punchs’ show (they were the band I was there to see). Yet, I do remember when Killswitch Engage played “My Curse” and I was so excited that I knew one song!
Upcoming show

A guy that I have been talking to has an extra ticket to a Killswitch Engage show in a few weeks – and OF COURSE I said I would go. I just downloaded one of their albums – somehow I have all of their albums on my Itunes but don’t know any of their music…

Time to learn some lyrics
I am really good with knowing bands but not knowing more than one song. So what I tend to do, is if I know I am going to a show and I don’t know that many songs, I will get the most recent set list from the internet and learn all of those songs so I am prepared for the show. No one wants to go to a concert and not know any of the songs! I’ve been there and done that with many bands – one that sticks out is All That Remains. I saw them twice, and the second time I made the mistake of not learning their new album. I only knew their old stuff and they basically only played songs from their new album. Tisk Tisk right?
My issue with the band
I don’t have a specific issue with the band or their music, it just annoys me because my ex-boyfriend was obsessed with this band (I think that’s how all of the music wound up on my laptop). Anyway, it’s not that it reminds me of him, but it’s the fact that this is his favorite band that it just gets on my nerves. That is probably why I have stayed clear for so long. Well, it’s time to get over that. No one “owns” a band, and I’m ready to give them a fair chance!

I am really excited to go to this show. First, because I have been meaning to really get into this band and learn their music for years now. But second, and I think more importantly, because the guy I am going with is super cute! The show is a few days after Christmas and now it is going to feel like forever until the day of the show! I hope I learn enough songs in time…

No comments:

Post a Comment